In 2018 I signed myself up for one of those logo challenges to try to improve my ideation skills and develop some logos for my portfolio. Here are the results.
This is still a work in progress but I’ve really enjoyed developing logos for different a huge range of different topic in a short period of time. It really forces you to make quick decisions, focus your attention on broad details and blast through your initial research/ideation.
I still have work outstanding on this project so I’m hoping over the next few months of 2019 I’ll have between 10-15 more logos to add here!
You can find write ups on each logo at my dribbble
This was an animation I did for Eflow’s new Tag payment system. My role was as animator and video editor on this piece.
The video itself is a “how to” showing users how the new tag system works. It’s a neat little transmitter that attaches to your windshield and automatically pays for your toll while going through the various toll roads around the island, saving drivers a lot of time in the long run.
I received all the assets as illustrator files which I cut up and layered out to work in the various scenes. Some required resizing, colouring and fixing for rough edges which took some time at the start, but was worth doing in the long run. After that I took all the assets into After Effects for animation and edited/sound mixed the piece using Premiere Pro.
I’m really happy with how it turned out in the end, the pieces has a nice flow to it and doesn’t drag anywhere and it was great to work with high quality assets on an animation like this.
As a personal project I’ve taken up photo repair and colouring.
My grandfather was an avid amateur photographer and spent years taking pictures around Kerry and of our family. I recently found a box of his old photography and thought it would be great to repair the old photographs digitally, and colourise them.
I’m currently doing a mixture of old photographs that I’ve sourced from google and some of my family, I’m hoping over time to build up a 30-40 photo catalogue of family photos.
A design case study I did for the excellent Arkham Horror deck building database. I wanted to see if I could redesign the site to work in an app format.
This was a website and logo design project I did while interning in Cork.
The brief was to create a logo and website for a a wordpress plugin that would allow clients to communicate and take payment from their users with “a touch”.
I created a logo identity for this service following look of a touch point on a screen. After building the logo and establishing a colour palette and main typography, I built out their website as a main information landing page.
This was a cool, small branding project I did while interning in Cork. A local cafe called Cafe ECO needed some branding done for a new line of hot chocolate sticks they were making in house.
In the brief they wanted the labels and menu to look classy and have a link to their other restaurant in Cork. So I went out to the main restaurant with my camera and took pictures of their signage, menus and these lovely mosaics they had on the walls inside.
In photoshop I combined the branding of the restaurant with the cafe and used the mosaics to create a unique look for each flavour. the menu used the sun mosaic as that was the most prominent piece in the main restaurant,
A friend had a new issue of their excellent poetry magazine coming out last year so I volunteered to design the booklet and update their logo.
My first step was to slightly update their logo so it was a little more expressive of the style of magazine and easier to use in various formats (social media, print and web banners).
The issue was set for a halloween launch and was titled “Ghouls”. For the cover I wanted to use a grid of dead leaves (zombie leaves 👻) to enforce the autumn and halloween feel without being too overt. The grid was to represent a hive of bee’s. Internally I kept the layout very simple and classic, I used Garamond as the key font and then found a free use script font for the headings to give each poem a hand signed feel. Finally the palette for this issue was pulled from an autumnal image I found online.
I also did a couple of badge designs for the launch of the issue grabbing some of the imagery I generated and putting them with some text.