A friend had a new issue of their excellent poetry magazine coming out last year so I volunteered to design the booklet and update their logo.
My first step was to slightly update their logo so it was a little more expressive of the style of magazine and easier to use in various formats (social media, print and web banners).
The issue was set for a halloween launch and was titled “Ghouls”. For the cover I wanted to use a grid of dead leaves (zombie leaves 👻) to enforce the autumn and halloween feel without being too overt. The grid was to represent a hive of bee’s. Internally I kept the layout very simple and classic, I used Garamond as the key font and then found a free use script font for the headings to give each poem a hand signed feel. Finally the palette for this issue was pulled from an autumnal image I found online.
I also did a couple of badge designs for the launch of the issue grabbing some of the imagery I generated and putting them with some text.